When it comes to becoming a paid writer, it can be a good idea to sign up for freelance writing courses.
However, it can be hard to figure out which ones will help you get closer to your goals or ones that are just a waste of money.
While things like AI are on the rise, freelance writing is still a career that will continue to be in demand. After all, have you seen the boring writing that AI produces?
With that in mind, it can still be a great time to get involved in this industry, whether you just want some side hustle money or you want to go full-time freelance.
Let’s talk about what freelance courses entail, why they are crucial for your success as a freelance writer, how they can advance your skillset, and then dive into some options we recommend.
What are Freelance Writing Courses?
Freelance writing courses are structured educational programs designed to enhance the skills and knowledge of individuals pursuing a career in freelance writing.
These courses cover a wide range of topics, including writing techniques, marketing strategies, client management, and industry trends. They may be offered by educational institutions, online platforms, or seasoned freelance writers with a desire to share their expertise.
If you want to take your freelance writing seriously, a good course can help you take it to the next level. It can be hard to advance on your own, which is why a lot of writers sign up for them. It is a career that is constantly changing, and learning from other experts can help you stay ahead of the curve.
Why Freelance Writers Should Take Courses
There are a few great reasons for you to sign up for freelance writing courses, no matter if you are a beginner or an expert:
- Skill Development: Freelance writing courses provide a platform for honing your writing skills. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced writer, these courses offer insights into grammar, style, tone, and other critical elements that contribute to effective writing.
- Industry Insight: Keeping up with the latest trends and industry standards is crucial in freelance writing. Courses often include modules that delve into market insights, helping writers understand client expectations, emerging niches, and current demands.
- Diversification of Services: Many freelance writing courses cover a broad spectrum of writing styles and formats, such as blog posts, SEO content, copywriting, and technical writing. Diversifying your skillset can open doors to a wider range of opportunities and clients.
- Marketing and Client Management: Freelance writers are essentially entrepreneurs. Learning effective marketing strategies and client management techniques is fundamental to building a successful freelance writing business. Courses often provide valuable guidance on creating a professional portfolio, pitching clients, and managing client relationships.
- Networking Opportunities: Enrolling in freelance writing courses offers the chance to connect with other writers, instructors, and industry professionals. Networking can lead to collaborations, mentorships, and a supportive community that can be invaluable in your career.
How Freelance Writing Courses Can Advance Your Skillset
- Feedback and Critique: Constructive criticism is a vital aspect of skill improvement. Many freelance writing courses incorporate peer reviews or instructor feedback, providing writers with valuable insights into their strengths and areas for improvement.
- Real-world Assignments: Practical assignments based on real-world scenarios help writers apply theoretical knowledge to actual projects. This hands-on experience is invaluable for building confidence and readiness for the challenges of freelance writing.
- Updated Industry Knowledge: The landscape of freelance writing is ever-evolving. Courses that stay current with industry trends ensure that writers are equipped with the most relevant and up-to-date information, keeping their skills in line with market demands.
Freelance Writing Courses
Let’s take a look at a variety of courses to advance your freelance writing career. Not all of them will apply to you based on the niche you are in or the type of writing you want to do as a freelance writer, but it is a good place to start:
1. Freelance Writers Den
The Freelance Writers Den is a great place for anyone who wants to make money from their writing skills. You will not only learn how to start building your career, but you will also have some of the best insights to learn how to recession-proof your writing career, so no matter what is going on in the world, you will continue to have clients and work.
2. The Complete Freelance Writing Course
The Complete Freelance Writing Course is a good overview of the basics when it comes to putting your portfolio together and how to get paid work. This course also includes a wide variety of options for you to offer as a freelance writer and some of the best ways for you to get involved in them. If you are looking for a comprehensive overview of your options as a freelance writer and how to get started, this is a good starting point.
3. Freelance Writing Essentials
The Freelance Writing Essentials course from Peak Freelance shows you how to build your freelance business from scratch.
It will walk you through the four most important basics of becoming a freelance writer: getting clients, building your portfolio, building your website, and finding your niche.
4. Creative Nonfiction: Write Truth with Style
If you want to be able to take subjects and turn them into exceptional nonfiction stories, you should take a look at this Creative Nonfiction course on Skillshare.
Taught by best-selling author and New Yorker staff writer, Susan Orlean walks you through her approach to her writing as well as teaching you the basics of what you need to know when it comes to this craft style.
The course is only two hours long, but it’s full of endless information you could use to improve your writing skills, even if you do not want to be a nonfiction writer. It can help improve your overall writing skills to learn from some of the best in their fields.
5. Copyblogger courses
Copyblogger has a ton of writing courses to choose from. Everything from SEO to copywriting courses to email marketing. The courses are geared more towards being a professional content creator or a writer who works in the marketing space.
With that in mind, most of their courses will teach you additional skills such as persuasive writing, being able to write headlines that grab attention, and being able to write content that sells.
6. Unf*ckwithable Freelancer
Ashley Ambirge is one of the veterans in the space when it comes to building a profitable writing business using the power of the internet. While there is a little bit of the actual craft discussed, it is mostly about how you position yourself as a writer online to only attract high-paying gigs and never have to beg to be paid again.
This course is one of the best when it comes to learning how to not only just survive as a freelance writer, but how to build a life where you are thriving.
What To Do Next
If you want to get started with freelance writing, few options are better than the Freelance Writers Den.
You will learn all of the basics you could possibly want to know about how to get started in the writing industry, without wasting time on low-paying offers while you build your career.